HB2291—Another Empowerment Scholarship Account Expansion
This bill, sponsored by Rep. Debbie Lesko, will expand the ESA program’s eligibility to include the children of police officers, firefighters or other first responders employed by public agencies, and children who are the sibling of a current or previous ESA recipient. Beginning in the 2016-17 school year, it will be expanded to include children who meet the economic eligibility requirements for free or reduced price lunches, and beginning in the 2017-18 school year, to include children whose family income exceeds the economic eligibility requirements for free or reduced price lunches by up to 15 percent.
1) Please use the following contact info to email or call the other members of the House Ways and Means Committee, which will be hearing the bill on Monday February 10th at 2pm, and ask them to please support the bill (and thank Chairwoman Lesko for sponsoring it!):
2) Click HERE to go to our HB2291 Action page and contact the representatives of your own legislative district to let them know you expect them to vote in favor of this bill when it comes up for a floor vote.
And here are even more ways to take action:
1) Register in support of the bill: If you do not already have an account with the ALIS system, you will need to come down to the Capitol to set up an account at one of the several kiosks (after you sign up, you will be able to voice your opinion on bills from the comfort of your home). For help getting set up with an ALIS account, contact me at email@example.com. I or another member of our legislative team will also be at the Capitol in advance of the hearing to help anyone who needs to sign in.
2) Attend the committee hearings and testify in support of the bill: If you or someone you know has been personally affected by an issue being raised in committee, you can attend the hearing in person and tell your story. Requesting to speak also requires setting up an ALIS account in person if you do not already have one (see #1 above), but after that it is very easy to request to speak at any time from your home computer or a mobile device.
3) Spread the word: After you’re done lobbying your legislators yourselves, please forward this link to your friends and family — or anyone else you know — and show them how they can be a part of the process. Every new voice helps!
Thank you for all you do to help win free-market victories for the people of Arizona. I hope you’ll continue to stand with us going forward! To take action on other important bills, go to our ACTION CENTER webpage HERE.
Director, External Affairs
Americans for Prosperity-Arizona