Tell Congress to Just Say “NO” to the So-Called Farm Bill

July 09, 2012

The US Senate has passed a bloated bill – on that AFP has called (Agri)-Business As Usual.   The Agriculture Reform, Food and Jobs Act of 2012 (S 3240) is the perfect example of why our country is on the wrong track.   Around 80% of the “farm bill” is food stamp funding and the other 20% is corporate welfare.

To put it into perspective, in 1970, 1 in 50 Americans was on food stamps – but today, 1 in 7 Americans is on food stamps.   The U.S. government is spending FIVE times more today on food stamps than we did in 2000.  While most of us would see fewer people on food stamps as a victory, some big-government advocates are considering the growth in food stamps as something to crow about.

The Farm Bill is a welfare bill in disguise.   But Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison voted for the bill, while Sen. John Cornyn did not.

The farm bill doubled in size from 2008-2011 (from $51 billion to $98 billion), much of it stimulus-injected federal food stamps program.

What’s in it for farmers?  A guarantee that their revenue won’t fall below 90% of their 5-year average revenue.

According to the American Enterprise Institute, this program would cost $8-$14 billion annually, while it now costs $5 billion a year.  This is a typical Washington, D.C. spending binge.

The bill is now in the House.  You can act now to tell your Congressman to cut the fat from the farm bill. 

Like this post? Chip in $5 to AFP