NEWS RELEASE: New AFP AD "My Daughter"
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Tuesday, September 3, 2013
CONTACT: Levi Russell at LRussell@afphq.org or (703)224-3200
New AFP Ad: My Daughter
Seven-figure ad buy features questions from mother of daughter with 4 open heart surgeries
Arlington, VA – Americans for Prosperity, the nation’s largest free-market grassroots organization, today released the third in a series of personal testimonials that raise important questions about the negative impact ObamaCare will have on healthcare choice. The new ad features Renay, the mom of a young girl, Caleigh, whose life has been saved by four open heart surgeries performed by physicians who have looked after her since she was born. Because the new health care law restricts the freedom of patients to keep their doctors, Renay worries that she and others will not have the same access to care in the future.
“Countless lives have been saved thanks to our freedom to choose our own personal doctor,” explained Tim Phillips, President of Americans for Prosperity. “ObamaCare threatens this crucial freedom and will leave Americans with diminished healthcare options. Mothers like Renay want to choose the physicians who are best suited to understand their child’s needs and offer them the highest quality care. They aren’t going to be quiet about Obamacare’s impact on their personal medical freedom.”
Fact: ObamaCare will limit millions of Americans’ medical options, regardless of whether they currently have insurance or are enrolled in a government program.
- Many health insurers are planning to decrease the network of health care providers available to their customers because of the law’s cost-increasing effects, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.
- The Congressional Budget Office estimates that 7 million Americans with employee-sponsored health insurance will lose their coverage by 2022 because of ObamaCare’s high costs, leaving them with less choice of health care providers.
- The medical journal Health Affairs states that one-third of doctors are expected to not accept new Medicaid patients in states that choose to expand the program under the law.
- According to the Doctor Patient Medical Association Foundation, 83% of doctors are considering quitting the medical practice, largely because of government interventions like ObamaCare.
- The Wall Street Journal reports that many of the plans available on the new health care exchanges will include relatively few choices of doctors and hospitals.
- 17% of doctors foresee closing their private practice in the next year because of financial strains on the medical industry, according to a report on CNN.
These and other facts about the negative impacts of the new health care law are documented at www.ObamaCareRiskFactors.com.
“As ObamaCare enrollment approaches, evidence of how the law will negatively impact personal health care freedom and quality of care keeps piling up,” Phillips continued. “Americans for Prosperity will continue to highlight facts about the law, share stories of real Americans like Renay, and ask the tough questions that the White House doesn’t want to hear.”
The first ad featured the story of Julie, whose son required a high level of medical attention that may not be available once the health care law is fully implemented. The second ad is narrated by Dr. Mary Ellen Gallagher, a physician who worries that the red tape required by Obamacare will undermine freedom to look after her patients personal needs.
To learn more about the ad or arrange an interview with Tim Phillips, please contact Levi Russell at LRussell@afphq.org or call 703-853-4090.
Americans for Prosperity (AFP) is a nationwide organization of citizen-leaders committed to advancing every individual’s right to economic freedom and opportunity. AFP believes reducing the size and intrusiveness of government is the best way to promote individual productivity and prosperity for all Americans. For more information, visit www.americansforprosperity.org