As you may remember, the governor presented a tax reform bill last legislative session. While we did not support the fact that it continued the growth of the state government’s budget, we did support the elimination of the state income tax. The bill was ultimately pulled, it found new life through a study of the tax code.
The Tax Modernization Committee, the group of senators charged with reviewing all things taxes in Nebraska, has set public hearings.
- Monday, Sept. 23 – Harms Advanced Technology Center, Western Nebraska Community College, Scottsbluff, 4 – 7 PM MT
- Tuesday, Sept. 24 – North Platte Community College, North Platte, 1:30 – 4:30 PM CT
- Thursday, Sept. 26 – Northeast Nebraska Community College, Lifelong Learning Center, Norfolk, 1:30 – 4:30 PM CT
- Thursday, October 17 – Metro Community College, South Omaha Campus, Omaha, 1:30 – 4:30 PM CT
- Friday, October 18 – State Capitol Building, Room 1113, Lincoln, 10 AM – 1 PM CT
Please make an attempt to attend one of the meetings and let the committee know that you want lower taxes, a broader tax base, and a simpler tax code.