Tax Mod. Comm. Moving to the Next Step
At this point the Nebraska State Legislature’s Tax Modernization Committee has heard from individuals who are well-versed in taxes: sales, income, and property. Now it is time for the fun part; making recommendations.
In order to give a recommendation, the committee must determine the goal, which Hammel and Stoddard of the OWH summarized well: tax changes and/or tax reduction. We think it should be both.
The Nebraska state budget will grow 5.2% each of the next two years. Quick question: is you’re your paycheck growing at that rate?
We need to spend less and put in place a tax code that is:
- flatter (fewer brackets, if any);
- broader (more taxable items);
- lower (as in lower rates); and
- simpler (easier to understand and file).
This will help keep government spending in check; ultimately benefiting the tax payer.
Your chance to speak your mind is coming; the TMC will have public hearings:
- Monday, Sept. 23 – Harms Advanced Technology Center, Western Nebraska Community College, Scottsbluff, 4 – 7 PM MT
- Tuesday, Sept. 24 – North Platte Community College, North Platte, 1:30 – 4:30 PM CT
- Thursday, Sept. 26 – Northeast Nebraska Community College, Lifelong Learning Center, Norfolk, 1:30 – 4:30 PM CT
- Thursday, October 17 – Metro Community College, South Omaha Campus, Omaha, 1:30 – 4:30 PM CT
- Friday, October 18 – State Capitol Building, Room 1113, Lincoln, 10 AM – 1 PM CT
Let the committee know we want and need tax reform in Nebraska.