Missouri vs. Kansas: A NEW Rivalry part 2
Border Wars Part 2
Kansas City, MO – Yesterday, in the St. Joseph News Press Missouri Governor Jay Nixon called for “an end to competition with Kansas over attempts to lure business in a border-style war of better economic sites. Rather, it’s best for both states to think in concert for regional development.”
“It comes as little surprise that Governor Nixon wants to end competition with Kansas because he knows the policies he supports can’t compete. These Governors clearly do not think in “concert” with one another. Governor Brownback has a history of making the necessary changes to spur economic growth and Governor Nixon stands in the way of implementing legislation that will attract families and businesses to Missouri. The time has come to follow the path Kansas has blazed because the results are difficult to ignore.” Patrick Werner, State Director, Americans for Prosperity – Missouri.
Let’s take a look at the overall Here’s how the American Legislative Exchange Council ranks Missouri & Kansas in the policies that contribute to economic growth:
- Missouri 42nd in economic performance in last 10 years – while Kansas ranks 35th
- Missouri ranks 23rd in economic outlook for 2013 – while Kansas ranks 11th
- Missouri ranks 47th in state gross domestic product – while Kansas ranks 26th
- Missouri ranks 24th in domestic migration – while Kansas ranks 40th
- Missouri ranks 22nd in top marginal personal income tax rates – while Kansas ranks 15th
- Missouri ranks 17th in top marginal corporate income tax rates – while Kansas ranks 24th
- Missouri ranks 36th in personal income tax progressiveness – while Kansas ranks 23rd
- Missouri ranks 14th in property tax burden – while Kansas ranks 29th
- Missouri 22nd in sales tax burden – while Kansas ranks 35th
- Missouri ranks 14th in remaining tax burden – while Kansas ranks 4th
More specifically, let’s look at how economic policy in each state creating or hindering job growth by studying the Kansas City metropolitan area. Kansas City is split nearly down the middle between Missouri and Kansas. Kansas makes up 45% of the areas workforce, while Missouri makes up the remaining 55% of the work force.
Job Creation over One Year: Advantage – Kansas.
- Kansas City, Kansas gained 9,500 jobs between May 2012 and May 2013.
- Kansas City, Missouri showed no gain between May 2012 and May 2013.
Job Creation Comparing 2008 and 2013: Advantage – Kansas
- Kansas City, Kansas employment reached 454,800 in 2013, which eclipsed their 2008 peak by more than 2000 jobs.
- Kansas City, Missouri had 3.6% below their employment peak of 579,600 in 2008.
Missourians should be disappointed with Governor Nixon’s non-compete attitude. Nearby states like Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, Tennessee, and Arkansas have made bold free market reforms to fix their economic woes with great success. These governors and legislative bodies were not content with managing states in slow decline. Governor Nixon’s lack of vision and failure to take action will result in stagnant growth, population loss, and fleeing citizens to friendlier states.
Americans for Prosperity (AFP) is a nationwide organization of citizen-leaders committed to advancing every individual’s right to economic freedom and opportunity. AFP believes reducing the size and intrusiveness of government is the best way to promote individual productivity and prosperity for all Americans. For more information, visit www.americansforprosperity.org