AFP Round-up on Export Import Bank
By Christine Harbin Hanson
Facing the imminent expiration of the Export Import Bank at the end of September, with few legislative days in between, special interests are lobbying furiously. They’re out in full force on Capitol Hill and in their congressional district offices, sparing no expense and spreading the same politically-charged myths about the Bank’s activities.
As Americans for Prosperity and our coalition partners have highlighted over the past months, the reasons to oppose the Export Import Bank are myriad: It’s corporate welfare, it disadvantages domestic companies, it send Americans’ tax dollars abroad, it crowds out private sector loans, etc.
In case you missed it, here is a round up of materials that AFP has produced over the past few months on the issue.
- AFP blog: “Spinning Congress: The Export-Import Bank Smokescreen” (July 1, 2014)
- AFP blog: “Kickbacks for Crony Capitalists” (June 27, 2010)
- AFP blog: “Six Questions Left Unanswered by Export Import Bank’s Chairman” (June 26, 2014)
- Townhall: “The Export Import Bank’s Small Business Charm Offensive” (June 26, 2014)
- AFP blog: “Subsidizing the Cartels: The Export-Import Bank and the Mexican Drug War” (June 24, 2014)
- AFP blog: “Welfare for billionaires” (June 24, 2014)
- AFP blog: “Special Interests Misconstruing Reagan and the Ex-Im Bank” (June 24, 2014)
- Statement from AFP President Tim Phillips applauding Majority Leader McCarthy for opposing the Export Import bank (June 23, 2014)
- Wall Street Journal: “End Corporate Welfare? Start With the Ex-Im Bank” (June 15, 2014)
- Daily Caller: The Export-Import Bank’s Dodgy Accounting (May 30, 2104)
- Statement from Tim Phillips on the CBO report (May 23, 2014)
- AFP blog: Export Import Bank, Our Money Sent Abroad (May 21, 2014)
- AFP blog: The Export-Import Bank and the Case of the “Missing” $24 Billion (May 20, 2014)
- The Hill: Conservatives call for expiration of the Export Import Bank (May 19, 2014)
- AFP blog: Obama Administration Doubles Down on Green Energy Giveaways With Ex-Im Bank (May 8, 2014)
- AFP blog: America’s Export-Import Bank: Exporting Our Tax Dollars (May 5, 2014)
- Roll Call: End the Export-Import Bank (May 5, 2014)
- Coalition letter: 30 Groups to Congress: Let the Export Import Bank Expire (May 1, 2014)
Thankfully, a number of lawmakers are doing the right thing—they’re standing up for taxpayers and going on record that they oppose reauthorizing the Export Import Bank. AFP applauds Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy and House Financial Service Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling for their continuing leadership on the issue, and we encourage their colleagues in Congress to follow their lead.
The time is NOW to tell Congress that you oppose corporate welfare. Tell your elected officials to end the Export Import Bank!
Like this post? Chip in $5 to AFP.