Medicaid Expansion Provides Poor Health Care and Spikes Federal Spending
Arlington, VA – Today, Americans for Prosperity continued its “Three Weeks of Obamacare’s Problems” campaign by responding to the administration’s praise of Medicaid expansion. The White House is expected to focus on this topic today as part of its three-week pro-Obamacare tour.
Medicaid is not a program worth praising. It has a track record of providing unacceptably poor quality health care, and yet Obamacare forces millions of Americans into the broken system, while costing states billions of taxpayer dollars.
Here are the facts:
Medicaid is Bad Medicine
· A University of Virginia study found that Medicaid’s surgical patients are 13 percent more likely to die than those without any insurance at all.
· The New York Times reports that Medicaid leaves children with wait times that can run over a month, if they can see a doctor or specialist at all.
· An Oregon study concluded that Medicaid coverage offered no significant benefit to the health of program participants versus being uninsured.
Medicaid has Poor Coverage
· Because Medicaid reimburses doctors at rates 34 percent lower than private insurance, Medicaid limits its patients to a “two-tiered” system of health care that restricts their access to quality care.
· A recent Health Affairs study demonstrated that many doctors in many fields of medicine are refusing to take on new patients due to concerns with the program.
Obamacare Forces Americans Onto Medicaid
· Under Obamacare, Americans with less than 138 percent of the poverty level are forced into Medicaid, even if they want to stay on their existing insurance or purchase another private insurance plan.
Medicaid is Not a “Free Lunch” for Taxpayers
· HSI Network identified 20 states that could face a combined $15.5 billion in new taxpayer costs after expanding Medicaid.
· In 2020, the federal government will cover 90% of the cost of Medicaid expansion, leaving state taxpayers on the hook for billions of dollars.
Tim Phillips, President of Americans for Prosperity, said: “The President’s praise for Medicaid makes no sense when you consider it is a broken system with an abysmal track record. But thanks to Obamacare, millions of Americans are now being pushed forced onto the system. Obamacare is the wrong policy for America—and the people it dumps into Medicaid deserve better.”