Legislative Action Alert -- Week of Feburary 3
AZ ACTION ALERT
The week of February 3, three of AFP-Arizona’s key bills will be in committee. Please use the information and links below to take action TODAY.
HB 2260 — The Small Business Bill of Rights
HB 2260, sponsored by Rep. Tom Forese, will be heard by the House Commerce Committee on Wednesday, February 5 at 10:00 am. It would create a list of protections for all business owners and require regulatory enforcement agencies to publicize them. (Thanks to NFIB-Arizona for pushing for this important bill!) We need to protect Arizona job creators from government regulatory assault, so please take the following two actions today:
1) Use THIS LINK to call or email the members of the House Commerce Committee,
and ask them to support HB 2260, the Small Business Bill of Rights.
2) Use THIS LINK to email the legislators in your district, and ask them to support HB 2260, the Small Business Bill of Rights, when it comes to a floor vote.
HB 2508 — Criminal Background Checks for ObamaCare Navigators
HB 2508, sponsored by Rep. Phil Lovas, will be heard by the House Insurance and Retirement Committee on Tuesday, February 4 at 2:00 pm. It would regulate ObamaCare insurance exchange Navigators, by requiring them to undergo criminal background checks and by instituting other privacy protections. These Navigators will have access to very sensitive personal health and financial information of citizens — and many citizens are essentially being forced by ObamaCare to go into the exchanges. Please take the following two actions today:
1) Use THIS LINK to call or email the members of the House Insurance and Retirement Committee, and ask them to support HB 2508 to protect citizens’ personal health and financial information from fraudsters acting as Navigators.
2) Use THIS LINK to email the legislators in your district, and ask them to support HB 2508 when it comes to a floor vote.
HCR 2005 — The “Terminal Patients Compassionate Care Act”
HCR 2005, sponsored by Rep. Phil Lovas, will be heard by the House Reform and Human Services Committee on Thursday, February 6 at 9:00 am. The bill would put a “Terminal Patients Compassionate Care Act” on the 2014 election ballot. If approved by the voters, the reform would allow drug manufacturers to provide investigational drugs, products, or devices to terminally ill patients. No individual should be denied the right to save their own life — and, with this legislation, Arizona would recognize that dying patients have a “Right to Try” treatments that have been deemed safe by the FDA but which have not been granted full FDA approval. (Thanks to our friends at the Goldwater Institute for coming up with this great idea!) Please take the following two actions today to support this important health care freedom reform:
1) Use THIS LINK to call or email the members of the House Reform and Human Services Committee, and ask them to support HCR 2005 to protect the rights of terminally ill patients.
2) Use THIS LINK to email the legislators in your district, and ask them to support HCR 2005 when it comes to a floor vote.
And here are even more ways to take action:
1) Register in support of the bills. If you do not already have an account with the ALIS system, you will need to come down to the Capitol to set up an account at one of the several kiosks (after you sign up, you will be able to voice your opinion on bills from the comfort of your home). For help getting set up with an ALIS account, contact Bill Fathauer at firstname.lastname@example.org. A member of our legislative team will also be there in advance of the hearing to help anyone who needs to sign in.
2) Attend the committee hearings and testify in support of the bills. If you or someone you know has been personally affected by an issue being raised in committee, you can attend the hearing in person and tell your story. Requesting to speak also requires setting up an ALIS account in person if you do not already have one (see #1 above), but after that it is very easy to request to speak at any time from your home computer or a mobile device.
3) Forward this email to family members. After you’re done lobbying your legislators yourselves, please forward this email onto your friends and family — or anyone else you know — and show them how they can be a part of the process. Every new voice helps!
Thank you for all you do to help win free-market victories for the people of Arizona. I hope you’ll continue to stand with us going forward!
Americans for Prosperity