School Choice Panel Discussion
Arizona parents, taxpayers and other concerned citizens are invited to an important event about the future of education policy in America. As part of National School Choice Week, the Arizona chapter of Americans for Prosperity Foundation is hosting an expert policy panel on Monday, January 28, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort, 7200 N. Scottsdale Road (just north of Indian Bend).
We have some important ground to cover in this policy discussion, including these topics:
• Of the recent school choice programs that have passed—Education Savings Accounts in Arizona, vouchers in Indiana, parent triggers in California, etc., which are the most important for children?
• Can school choice programs take credit for recent successes in US education?
• What are the biggest challenges to school choice today?
• How can we ensure that school choice successes are not derailed by government intervention?
• How can we ensure that children in traditional district schools are not “left behind” by school choice reforms?
• What special efforts must be made to meet the needs of students who live in poverty?
• What are the effects of high-stakes government tests on students and teachers?
Our expert panelists will answer these questions and identify the best paths forward to improve our children’s education:
Jason Bedrick, Visiting Scholar, Center for Educational Freedom, Cato Institute
Jonathan Butcher, Education Director, Goldwater Institute
Anthony Cody, Education Blogger, Teachers Lead and Education Week
Matthew Ladner, Senior Advisor, Foundation for Excellence in Education