Government red tape and unnecessary regulations are stifling the entrepreneurial spirit and blocking job creation. Every Floridian deserves the chance to achieve their own personal success without government standing in the way.
Burdensome regulations and licensing laws at the state and local level should continue to be examined and eliminated, and the use of bureaucratic regulation to favor or protect select industries must stop.
Too often, government regulations are used by special interest groups to protect an industry, by creating barriers to those wanting to enter and compete in a market. Politicians also utilize regulations to boost their politically favored industry or circumvent the legislative process. The cost of these unnecessary regulations on entrepreneurs and businesses is a burden that kills jobs and raises the cost of living for Florida’s families.
- Florida has the 4th most burdensome licensing laws and is the 7th most onerously licensed state in the nation. Source: Institute for Justice
- Florida’s burdensome licensing laws deter entry into 45 of the 102 low- and moderate-income occupations surveyed. Source: Institute for Justice
- Burdensome government regulations and permitting can delay creation of new jobs by weeks, if not months. Source: Foundation for Government Accountability
- A one-week delay for a new Florida start-up company results in approximately $2,700 in lost wages for a typical staff. Source: Foundation for Government Accountability
- A one week delay for Florida start-ups, which created 173,236 jobs in 2009, costs the State approximately $9.9 million in lost revenue. Source: Foundation for Government Accountability